Saturday, March 10, 2007

Updates

With only five weeks before our new arrival arrives--April 11, 9:00am for those of you who want to put it on the calendar. (I'd put in in pencil though, because you just never know)--we have been busy preparing. It all started when we changed the baby's name. He's been Westley since we brought Benton home from the hospital, then one day, we said his first name and last name together, and we both flinched. So now he's Nathaniel (ie Hawthorne) Keith (Paul's dad's middle name) Night (because what's a name without a sturdy noun to anchor it). Many are relieved at the change, but we were sad to see Westley go. I still call him Westley from time to time, but I'm sure we'll get over that too.

Unfortunately for my husband, I have been nesting uncontrollably--hence the bathroom remodelation. Since I don't have a nursery to decorate this time around, the rest of the house is baring the brunt of my obsession. Tuesday night, on not much more than a whim, I stood back and supervised as my husband rearranged the furniture in our room to make sure there was room for the new baby and all the gear that comes with him for the first few months. Then we went and bought hinges and knobs for the kitchen cabinets.

Besides that, I have been tirelessly researching strollers for two. Talk about a challenge. I think we found a suitable option, since my dream stroller (Phil and Teds E3) is priced a little outside even the realm of fantasy. The Baby Trend Sit and Stand will hopefully accommodate our needs, though it's just not as cool.


My current obsession is the bedding. Since Benton's was custom made by my sister, I figure Nathaniel deserves the same. And Benton can't just be expected to give up his blanket after all this time. So the plan is to tweak with the underwater theme. We'll leave the fish for Benton, and we'll do a sort of hybrid surfer/turtle baby thing for the baby. Tonight, I'm dragging my husband to the Joann Fabrics Superstore in Portland and Fabric Depot. My husband is a saint, just so you know.


In other news, I am about to be published. Now hold onto your party hats. I don't think the March edition of the Dallas MOPs newsletter probably counts, but it will be fun anyway. I wonder if I get a copy or if I will have to steal my sister's. She's the one who hooked me up, by the way. She knows the editor--wink, wink. Anyway, the article is titled ARE PARASITES MAKING YOU FAT? and you can read it on The Attic--unless you want to wait for the March issue of the Dallas MOPs newsletter to hit the stands.

And that's all for now. Benton and I are off to take our naps, so we can be well rested for our fabric excursion this evening.

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

Oh, the prestige and pay of a published novelist! Now you will be able to pay your sister for the designer infant coverlette.

Annie said...

I am due the 17th. It's fun to read this, know we are at the same point, and compare experiences. You must share your sister's style because I love your bathroom, and Benton must be one of the cutest little boys I've ever seen. Blessings to you and the fam and the new little one!

Anonymous said...

Well, I was hoping you would have your baby on Bri's birthday..the 17th..but I suppose you don't schedule these things to benefit me..sigh =)
I will mark it on my calendar though! I look forward to viewing your new stroller when you walk with Laurie and I (hint) =)
Penny